Tuesday, April 1, 2014

NaPoWriMo: Mindscape

Yeah, I know I've to focus on my thesis but I've to exercise my creativity and let my imagination roam freely, aite? One of my panaceas for distress is indeed composing  crappy poems. So, I decided to join NaPoWriMo (www.napowrimo.net).What's NaPoWriMo? It's National Poetry Writing Month. Woot!

Since I was born in April, I'm really thrilled NaPoWriMo is celebrated this month. Well, I will be more thrilled if there were NaTheWriMo (National Thesis Writing Month) so I could finish my thesis for a month. Yeah, right.

Okay, let's get back to business, shall we? This is my first NaPoWriMo poem for this month entitled "Mindscape". That title is actually based on one of Latiff Mohidin's paintings, a prominent Malaysian artist. Our prompt for today is to write an ekphrastic poem, a poem inspired by a work of art. Since I'm Malaysian, that's why I chose his painting. Here goes:


                             

 Mindscape
Can you see a galaxy
in my mind?
Oh, how beautiful
those stars bind!
Scintillating like a beacon,
where there is a flying chicken
dancing through the starlight
with an enormous delight.
With no impossibility
as a boundary,
no noises or
malicious voices,
your mind can be free
to create its own galaxy.

-Nuruljannah-


No comments:

Post a Comment