Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Funniest Joke

I remember you once said
in the Distance,
"People don't read poetry in public."
I guffawed silently at your
ludicrous joke,
It is like saying
a fish doesn't sleep.

I read poetry in the 
vigorous sea of people,
at the wedding reception
while the bride and groom
sit stiffly on the prodigal wedding stage.

I read poetry while shopping 
with my mother,
where sale signs
are like a decorated Christmas tree.

I read poetry while swimming 
in my loneliness, when my smile 
is broken,while savouring
red velvet cake and coffee
that are salty.

I even read you,
 I write about you
my melancholic poetry,
You just don't know
and might never know.
I can still hear your voice
"People don' read poetry in public."
Oh boy, you are wrong!

-Nuruljannah-

No comments:

Post a Comment